Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ACADEMIC - British Museum



Today we went as a class to the British Museum and got to explore on our own.

THERE ARE TOO MANY THINGS IN THE BRITISH MUSEUM.

It's mindblowing. I got to see the big things like the Rosetta Stone but I probably only saw 5% of the stuff there. It's just too much. I looked for anything from the Philippines, but didn't find anything. I explained my theory to Bookie that maybe the Philippines hasn't contributed enough to world history to be included... except for killing Magellan.

I've noticed that this museum just seems more "classic" to me than the others we have visited. Not a lot of interaction or things like that just, "Here's parts of the Parthenon." I'm not saying this is bad, the history really confronts you this way. I'm just staring at sculptures and can't help but think about that time period and the people of it. It's blunt and I like it.

The museum was founded in 1753 and holds around 7 million items, making it one of the largest and most comprehensive world history museums. It's government funded through the Department of Culture, Media, and Sport.

We didn't have a guided tour, but that's to be expected. I mean, I'd still be in there a week later listening to an exhausted guide talk about stuff three rooms down from where we started. It was sad that we didn't get to see the reading room though, it's closed for a couple years.

I just bought a postcard and called it a day. For more information about the British Museum, click here.

2 comments:

  1. dude bring me back that chess set

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would if they had a miniture of it or something but I didn't see one in the gift shop

    ReplyDelete